Of course, our first Model UN conference is not the peak of our MUN careers. It’s not always that easy! However, since then, we’ve learned how to become better delegates through more practice and knowing your do’s and don’ts!
Here is a list of some MUN faux pas we probably did at our first conference:
- Sat awkwardly and watched blocs being formed during unmod
- Blanked on what to say in the middle of speaking
- Flooded your speeches with “like”s and “umm”s
- Thought “Point of Inquiry? What is that?” every time a new motion was entertained
- Tried to cram too much into one 30-second speech
- Ran towards the guy who sounds like he knows what he is doing during unmod
- Literally dying during your first speech
- Crammed weeks worth of research into one night after the first committee session
- Not knowing whether to introduce yourself as your actual name or your country
- Automatically supporting the attractive delegates plan
- Making obscure motions
- Being overjoyed when you finally get an unmod
- Acted a lot better than you actually are
If you’re thrown into Model UN, it can be overwhelming! As always, we’re here to help. Our theme for February is “How to Train New Delegates”! Stay tuned for tips on how to go into committee feeling confident and prepared!
P.S. For those of you who have never had to encounter these instances because you haven’t participated in a Model UN conference yet, here is what you need to know to avoid them!