Hi, what’s your name and what do you study? Can you tell me a little bit about Jakarta Model United Nations and your leadership as Secretary General of JMUN?
Hi, my name is Dinda Dwita Puspasari. I am a third-year student at the University of Indonesia, majoring in Communication Studies. Since I was a freshman at the university I got involved in a youth-led organization called Indonesian Students Association For International Studies (ISAFIS). Under this organization, Jakarta Model United Nations (JMUN) was first found.
First held in 2011, JMUN is now coming to its fourth year. After the previous successful programs, this year’s JMUN want to take MUN in Indonesia to the next level. In line with the progress toward the agenda of MDGs (Millenium Development Goals) 2015, Jakarta MUN is held to facilitate young people to gather their ideas and evince their efforts in achieving global development through diplomacy under the theme of “Moving towards Global Development in 2015 and beyond”. JMUN 2014 will be held on June 23rd – 26th, 2014.
There will be 6 councils in JMUN 2014:
- The United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development (UNCSD)
- United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
- United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO),
- World Health Organization (WHO),
- United Nations World Food Programme (UN-WFP).
And General Assembly on the last day.
How long have you prepared for JMUN?
I was officially elected as the Secretary General of JMUN 2014 in around November 2013, when I was still staying in Singapore, finishing my exchange semester at National University of Singapore. So I started preparing the whole events for JMUN after I got back to Indonesia. This whole process started with analyzing the current issue in the world right now to decide the theme, and then deciding the councils, followed by other preparations. Of course I couldn’t do it alone. I have an amazing secretary and treasurer, and 4 incredible Under-Secretary Generals behind my back.
What makes JMUN different from other MUN in the world?
JMUN 2014 will bring a more international atmosphere to the world of MUN in Indonesia. Not only will it be insightful, it will also be absolutely fun! We will not only provide the delegates with tight debates and discussions, it will also take them to get to know the other delegates from different countries and broaden their horizon from the networks they will gain.
Since we will only accept limited number of delegates, JMUN will be more prestigious. We are going to work together with some institutions like Indonesia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, United Nations Information Center, and European Union Delegation, where the delegates can meet directly with the person in charge of those MDGs issues and give them the best ideas contributed by the youth of the world. Through 4 days of JMUN 2014, we will ensure that the delegates will feel the greatness of Jakarta and the spirit of true diplomacy.
What can future delegates expect in this year’s JMUN?
Here is the agenda of JMUN 2014:
- MUN 101 for those beginners (so don’t be afraid if this is going to be your first MUN, cause we would love to give you the insights you need to know about MUN),
- Conferences in 6 different councils,
- General Assembly, where all the delegates from six other councils are going to meet in one room to discuss the integration of the proposal which has been made and formulate one concise resolutions to project the feasibility of achieving global development (MDGs) in 2015 and beyond.
- Gala Dinner where all the delegates can meet each other and get to know their board of directors,
- International Night, to bring the delegates to step out and get know the world’s culture,
- Panel Discussions with the experts in MDGs,
- And Hearing with Government with the persons in charge of MDGs issues.
So, if I want to participate, how can I register?
Simply go to www.jakartamun.org. We already provide all the explanations about the events there. You can find the application form there, too! Fill all the informations needed in the form and submit it. Later we will send you the notification. Since there are some changes in application method, make sure you read the informations given in “How To Apply”. Don’t hesitate to contact us directly to firstname.lastname@example.org or hit us up on twitter @jakartamun if you have anything to ask. We would love to give a hand!