On the 3rd of September, 200 youth from different countries gathered in Tunis, the capital of Tunisia and the cradle of Arab Spring. They walked Al Habib Bourgeiba Avenue, the avenue that witnessed one of the most important events of modern history. They all had one thing in common: “North African International Model United Nations- NAIMUN”. The theme of the conference is to achieve sustainable, peaceful resolutions to global political challenges. NAIMUN delegates assumed the role of Ambassadors or NGO Representatives, to defend the interests of their assigned countries and organizations in the best possible manner.
The conference took place in one of the most prestigious places in The Ministry of Human Rights and Transitional Justice in Tunis. The future diplomats lined up in five rows to register and get the registration packages according to the five committees that were addressed:
1. Disarmament and International Security Committee – Illicit Trade in Small Arms and Light Weapons in Africa,
2. Human Rights Council Second Committee – The Syrian Refugee Crisis,
3. Legal Committee – Intellectual Property Rights,
4. Special Political and Decolonization Committee – Cooperation on Access to Water Resources,
5. United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change – Effect of Climate Change on developing countries.
The opening Ceremony began with welcoming remarks from the vice president, later a representative of the Ministry of Human Rights and a representative of the United Nations also greeted the participants and delivered speeches. That day and the three following days were filled with vibes of smartness, creativeness, wittiness, seriousness, craziness, and also friendliness! As much as the delegates were serious during the day, preparing, negotiating, and Lobbying, as much as the General Secretary was trying to lift the pressure of their shoulders by singing and dancing with them the Manga song! NAIMUN 2013 was a successful, enjoyable, and unforgettable experience demonstrating the smartness of the youth and their ability to make the world a better place.