Get ready for another exciting season of Model United Nations conferences! Best Delegate breaks down the top 10 most important weekends of the conference season in the United States for the high school and college MUN circuits.
We also created Google Maps of the conferences based on this information — Check it out here. If we left out your conference, feel free to submit your information with this form and we will include it.
The list below is chronological and based on published conference dates as of September 1, 2010.
Here we go!
1b (College). September 30-October 3: The college Model UN season starts a week later with Boston University’s BarMUN.
2. October 15-17: The MUN season heats up with three conferences in the high school circuit – Washington University’s WUMUNS, Central Florida’s KnightMUN, and Edison High School’s EHSMUN – and in the college circuit with Yale’s SCSY.
4. November 12-14: Model UN participants will be out in full force for the most active weekend of the entire season. Eight major high school and secondary school conferences will be in the lineup – Brown’s BUSUN, UCLA’s BruinMUN, Stanford’s SMUNC, McGill’s SSUNS, William & Mary’s WMHSMUN, Rutgers’ RUMUN, Penn State’s PHUNC, and the SUSMUN conference – plus U. Penn will be hosting UPMUNC in the college circuit.
5. January 27-30: This is one of the most highly anticipated, power-packed weekends in the season with Harvard’s HMUN and U. Penn’s ILMUNC taking place in the high school circuit and McGill’s McMUN being held in the college circuit.
6. February 3-6: The most popular weekend in the spring semester features six conferences spread across the country in the high school circuit: U. Chicago’s MUNUC, UNA-USA’s Global Classrooms: New York City, American’s AUMUNC, MIT’s MITMUNC, the Houston Area MUN conference, and Florida’s GatorMUN.
7. February 17-20: President’s Day weekend is another huge time slot in the season with Georgetown’s NAIMUN and Duke’s DUMUNC taking place in the high school circuit and with college students from around the world competing at Harvard’s HNMUN, considered by some as the national championship of the college circuit.
8. March 9-12: Top high school students will be at the United Nations participating at NHSMUN, which is widely regarded as the national championship of the high school circuit. Cornell’s CMUNC and Florida Gulf Coast’s SWFL MUN will be held this weekend as well.
9. April 17-23: Thousands of college students will be attending one of the two NMUN conferences held at the United Nations. This set of conferences is considered by others to be the national championship of the college circuit. However, college students who prefer crisis committees will spend their weekend at U. Chicago’s ChoMUN.
10. May 12-14: Global Classrooms: International (GCIMUN), formerly known as UNA-USA MUN, takes place at the United Nations and serves as the culmination of the worldwide Global Classrooms program. The Best Delegate team members are all alumni staffers of this conference. We plan to drop by to see if Ban Ki-Moon makes his fourth consecutive appearance here.
Which conferences are you most excited about? Let us know in the comments!