In the spirit of celebrating Thanksgiving here in the United States, the Best Delegate team came up with five things that every Model UN delegate may be thankful for. If any one of the below applies to you, make sure you let them know or show appreciation. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!
1. Having your basic needs met. We should be thankful that we live in a place where we have food, clean water, human rights, shelter, security, access to education, healthcare, and many of the other basic needs that people from around the world lack. We are lucky that we can discuss and help resolve these issues so that the less fortunate have a better chance to experience a better life.
2. Your parent(s). Having supportive parents makes all the difference. While you may not always agree with them and while they may sometimes put too much pressure or perhaps not show enough interest in your endeavors, know that ultimately they do care about your success and wish the best for you. Make sure you thank them for many things they do for you that we may have taken for granted.
3. Your Model UN advisor. It’s pretty apparent that your Model UN organization and your Model UN career wouldn’t be where it is without the extra hours of dedication that your MUN advisor has poured into you and your team. Not everyone had a chance to have a Model UN advisor, much less a good one, so be sure to thank them for all that they do in helping you become a leader of tomorrow.
4. Mentors and personal champions. You probably know someone who is a few years older than you that you look up to as a leader, and this person may have seen potential in you and have taken an interest in you as an unofficial mentor or as a champion of your growth. Let your “mentors” know that you admire them and are thankful for the advice, feedback, and support that they share with you.
5. Your Model UN friends. At the end of your Model UN career, the most important thing will probably be the memorable moments you’ve shared with the friends you’ve made on the circuit. Best Delegate certainly wouldn’t be where it is today if we all hadn’t become friends through Model UN, and I’m sure you can reflect on your enjoyable experiences and say the same about your MUN career.
What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!